Homemade Laminate Floor Cleaner
Here’s an excellent recipe for home made laminate floor cleaner that works a treat, especially for cleaning high gloss laminate flooring leaving it completely streak free:
- 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar
- 1 squirt of liquid dish detergent
- put it all in a spray bottle and you’re good to go!
Making your own homemade laminate floor cleaner will save you from ever needing to buy an expensive manufacturer’s cleaner 🙂
Do’s and Don’ts of Caring for Laminate Flooring
- Do not use mops like string mops or sponge mops that use a lot of water (remember – if water corrupts the core-board it will cause it to warp!)
- When wet mopping your floor, do not soak the microfiber mop pad just dampen it
- Blot up large spills with a sponge, dry cloth or paper towel. Do not allow puddles to remain on the surface of your laminate floor for a long period of time because they could cause warping
- Remember, laminate floor is not real wood, so you should never wax or polish your laminate flooring
- Do not use anything with chemicals that promotes a clean and shine
- Do not use bleach or abrasive cleaners for cleaning laminate floors
- Never use steel wool or scouring pads because they are renown for scratching surfaces
Removing Exotic Stains and Stubborn Marks
- Blood: give it spray of window cleaner and wipe with a damp cloth
- Chewing gum: use a plastic knife or something else (non metal) to get under the gum and avoid scratching the floor. Once you’ve prized the worst of it off rub the residue with a soft cloth dampened with mineral spirits
- Crayon: apply mineral spirits to a damp cloth and rub away
- Grease: Freeze with an ice pack until the grease hardens, then scrape off with a plastic knife. Wipe away the remaining residue with a squirt of window cleaner and a damp cloth.
- Ink: Wipe with a damp cloth. Add a little detergent if the stain is stubborn. If it’s very stubborn use a commercial ink remover but be sure to wipe up with a damp cloth once you’re done
- Nail polish: You guessed it, the answer is – nail polish remover. Wipe up with a warm watered damp cloth once your done.
- Red Wine or Coca Cola: wipe with a damp cloth
- Scuffs and heel marks: rub with a pencil eraser. It’s just like correcting your kid’s homework